Wednesday 13 April 2011

Sčítání lidu

Why does the word for 'census' [sčítání lidu = census of people] have to be so unpronounceable?  (Almost.)  Why did the woman bringing round the forms, who could clearly hear I was English, agree to letting me fill it in online when it won't accept me due to the first question, which requires me to have a 'native number' I cannot possibly have, seeing as I wasn't born in this country?  And why must I be punished for being good at being polite in Czech, by having Jehovah's Witnesses (or similarly evangelising tribe) keep me hanging on the end of my intercom line, who I only responded to because I thought it might be the census woman again?

I need some sleep or I will have absolutely no patience left for when I have to face the 'kind and welcoming' people at the post office, to whom I will now have to hand in my census form tomorrow.  Previous levels of kindness and delight in my custom involved telling me in no uncertain terms, when I deigned to approach the counter after the previous person had finished, "I'll call you when I'm ready.  Go back to the line!".  (In Czech, of course.)  Ah, Czech customer service.  You can't beat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment