Thursday 21 April 2011

A Day Off

Ah, the joys of a day off.  I actually got to try out my Czech, and I even got complimented on it.  Out of 5 encounters with people, I got compliments on my Czech from 3 of them.  The first was the woman at the transport office, the second a surprise bumping into a meet-ee and the third, the guy in the cafe.  So my visitor was pleased for me.  

However, I subsequently had the audacity not to give my seat up to a woman on the tram (I hadn't seen her closely enough to see if she were old enough to merit it and I always think I'd be really offended if one day someone offered me a seat just because I looked a bit old and because I'm female) but the transport inspectors got on and while checking my ticket, duly told me to be polite and give 'the lady' a seat.  I would have found that somewhat repulsive if I were her, as she really didn't look very old when I actually caught a proper glimpse of her.  But this is the Czech Republic.  No-one is offended by the polite offering of a seat to one's elders. Oops. My mistake.

My visitor and I did a mammoth amount of walking around today and it was so sunny we actually had to buy some sun cream.  It was that hot.  So we did the usual things, and enjoyed a rather yummy Magnum ice-cream each on the way to the castle.  We took some photos, of course, but I was too tired and too hot under the stronger-than-expected rays of the sun, so I didn't come up with anything particularly creative.  (Sorry.)



Having done all that, we stopped off at Kavárna Slavia and had something to eat before going and doing the food shopping and coming home.  Because, as everyone knows, there's no greater mistake than to go food shopping on an empty stomach.

P.S.  As a complete aside, did anyone actually notice that the title 'L'homme au bouquet de fleurs' in a previous post was actually a link?  It doesn't seem to have come up highlighted.  I had to watch it again this morning for a bit of encouragement to remember I was free for a day to do engaging, soothing, delightful things.  But I ended up not using the inspiration particularly well.  It dawned on me towards the end of the day that my advice on how much money my visitor should bring was somewhat inaccurate.  I was quoting for four-day survival, not four-day holiday/having a good time.  I had forgotten that in order to enjoy wandering around, you need money (or a packed lunch) because I have had neither the time nor the money to even consider such frivolities as eating in a cafe and buying an ice-cream since moving here.  But buying presents and bits and bobs of meaningless delight, are normal fare for holidays.  Speaking of meaningless delight, I got these ,berušky' earrings:
So, inspite of our rapidly acquired poverty, we did have an interesting day and I suppose I must take comfort in the fact that at least it didn't rain.  It is still April afterall, and one should be grateful for precipitation-free days.  Not to mention downright sunny ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment