Friday 7 January 2011

Confusing culture

I've not been particularly involved with many people for a while.  Isolation has prevailed somewhat.  However, I have had one or two meetings and the last two days has involved meeting two French speakers for two completely different purposes.  One, as a language exchange and the other as more of an interview situation.  I have to admit, it's been a bit disheartening to find that the fact that I've been learning Czech so avidly lately means it infiltrates my otherwise reasonable-ish French.  I've found myself saying some astonishing things.

The first was mixing up a number; 'vingt tisíc' instead of 'vingt-mille' or 'dvacet tisíc' (= 20,000).  Then I mixed up little linking words like 'mais' with 'ale' (= but) and 'et' / 'a' (= and) and 'ou' / 'nebo' (= or) and it was quite funny really, although pretty confusing and incomprehensible to someone who doesn't speak both languages.  Which would be me, in fact, because I really can't say I speak Czech yet.  I can 'get by', i.e. communicate, though it takes some considerable time and all of my case endings are wrong, but it is no doubt the clumsiest, pigeon-Czech imaginable.  Alas.

Whereas, with French, I've recently had a number of compliments.  It's been rather lovely.  Today it was, "your pronunciation is very good", and last week's language exchange was, "ton français, c'est vraiment top".  But then I discovered, I mispronounced something as simple as 'culture'.  I  was hesitant to pronounce the 'cul' (= bum) in 'culture' basically.  So it came out sounding like 'couture' ('sewing'), which, as you can imagine, was rather confusing.  So now every time I try to say 'culture' in French, I think, "dans ton CUL!", without meaning to, but as a way of remembering, yes, I really have to say it starting with the word for BUM.  Hmm.  How, erm, cultured.

No comments:

Post a Comment