Sunday 9 January 2011

10 Things To Get Me Through The Worst Week In January

It's already been a really teeth-pullingly tough week and it's only set to get harder.  A kind of 'searing earache and simultaneous bitterly-cold-blizzard' kind of harder.  So, to prepare myself, I thought I should make a list of things that have been and may continue to help me through:

1) The remaining chocolates from Christmas.
2) Sumptuous lavender bubble bath, shower gel and moisturiser.
3) The thought of Paris with the Faerie Godmother Trainee.
4) My 'bilingual' copy of 'The Michelin Man' by Gerald Durrell in Czech as well as the original English, which, ironically reminds me of trips to a little village in France called 'Herly'.
5) A rediscovered copy of 'When You Love You Must Depart' by Alina Reyes.
6) My Ab Fab DVDs.
7) My Anna Gavalda short stories book 'Je Voudrais Que Quelqu'un M'Attende Quelque Part' because the title and picture on the front express my current longing perfectly:


8) My naughty, budget-negating (or rather, failed 'Second-World-War-type-rationing-attempt', more like...) copy of American Elle magazine, because it's got such damned good writing in it.
9) This light tea that not only cheers me up with its Ceylon-style taste, but has a reassuringly elitist, 'intelligentsia' design and picture on the box:


10) Emails from kind people who are keeping in touch even though I no longer live in the same country as them.  It still seems strange that I can't meet up for tea and cake with these compassionate souls anymore, when once I could call up and plot to be at the corner of Westbourne Grove and Hereford Road for coffee at 6pm on a Wednesday.  (If anyone's free on Wednesday at 6pm near Václavské Náměstí though, I'm available for tea, coffee and any kind of cake, especially in one of those bookshop cafes...)

No comments:

Post a Comment