Thursday 24 November 2011

New bakery and other reasons to be thankful

Welcome to another grey-skied Thursday in Praha.  

('Thanksgiving Day' for some, just another working day for me.) The reason for the lack of posts lately is down to working like crazy to fit in a drama workshop for three days, that cost quite a bit, as well as lost me a day and a half's wages.  So I've been working like a wheel-runnning hamster with an evening cage-cleaning job to just about recoup the expenses.  It's ok.  I've made back the money (just) but I haven't got the extra, better paid work from doing it that I'd hoped to get, so saving up for the inevitable down-turn of work in the lead-up to Christmas, taking time off for a visitor as well as being able to buy Christmas presents is still in question.  (As such, I haven't got a full day off today either, and I'm not just talking about having to do preparation work for tomorrow's epic day of back-to-back meet-ees from 12-19:30 with an extra meeting in the morning from 8-9.30.) 

I'm seriously considering putting a pot on my meeting table with the words 'Christmas Bonus' on it, in hope of some kind donations.  I fear this would just get laughed at though, because Czechs don't believe in giving tips.  At least, not to people like me.  While feeling sorry for myself about all of this, I did at least treat myself to a book via amazonmarket place.  (Thanks to a certain donation from a loyal reader, which I've been careful not to spend all in one go!  You know who you are!  Thank you!)  I was pleased to discover the seller is actually Oxfam books.  So I've contributed to a charity this week.  Isn't that good?

Anyway, I wanted to get out today, while I had a bit of time, so I ventured out to the newly opened 'Paul's' bakery around the corner.  Yes, it has finally opened TODAY!  So, I went along to get myself a pain au chocolat and a croissant, to 'test out'  (for research purposes only, of course) their wares.  

A pain au chocolat is called a 'čokoládová rolka' here though, which just seems funny, somehow.  And I was lucky enough to get served by a reasonably friendly member of staff (quite a find among the usual grumpy types here in the Czech Republic) and I even got a discount on the croissant!  Along with a flyer with a 'free coffee if you spend more than 50Kč' offer on it.  So I'll probably be making friends with these people, as money and trying not to end up the size of a house dictates...

In the meantime, I purposely set aside a tiny bit of 'me' time today to flick through the Czech Marie Claire I got yesterday (buying a Czech version is a third of the price of an imported UK or US one) and I'm actually quite impressed with their fashion pages this time.  They've still got a few silly articles in there that I'm not all that bothered about reading, but I was quite entertained by a number of sparkly things I found photographed on their pages.

I'm not normally much of a gold person, but I quite like the idea of a gold sequinned top reflecting the sun or a lamé top or skirt for dazzling people on a dreary winter evening:


I would also settle for a nice but sparkly jumper:

And if I wanted some new boots and money were no object, why not go the whole ostentatious hog and get these (swoon):

So there's a little bit of Thanksgiving dreaming for you.  (If I'm not going to get some turkey out of today, then surely a bit of ridiculous wistful longing for stuff I can't afford is perfectly allowed, right?)  I am grateful that I at least have a computer with which to continue writing these silly musings and a printer/photocopier/scanner which happily does its job when prompted.  And donations from kind readers who keep me going with my books and coffee fund!  Thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment