Saturday 30 July 2011

Apocalypse, floods and hippos

The weather here in Prague seems to have taken a leaf out of London's book and has decided to skip summer, other than a tropical humid hell of a summer, when it remembers it's supposed to be hot, and has this morning decided to do it's best 'apocalyptic rain' impression.  And as the rain is bucketing down and the skies are grey and misty, so my mood is matching up perfectly.  I feel like the rain has drowned my hope as surely as it has washed the pavements and made the roads into small streams.

I am dreading the difficulty of pleasing and fitting in with everyone for my forthcoming trip to Blighty and I'm dreading even more the onset of September's full-on relentlessness to follow.  Once I'm a fully paid-up self-employed member of the Czech Republic, I'll be back to where I started here in terms of salary.  I worked hard over the last year to slowly work up through the ranks to a viable income, but soon the waterfall of health insurance, taxes and probably some other fee I hadn't bargained for will bring me back to my knees forthwith, and my recent cutting down to minimal amounts of food at breakfast and lunch will become a regular financial necessity.  

It never rains but it pours, and soon there'll be a bone fide flood.  And quite frankly, I'd rather be swept away and killed than left to cling on for dear life like the poor hippo Slavek did in the floods of 2002.  He survived, but Lentilka, the female hippo, didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment