Wednesday 29 February 2012

Flowers and a farewell to February

Prague was miserable-looking today and I had to get out of the house, so I bought these to cheer myself up:



Oh February, you odd little month.  How we should have been closer friends...  (I was meant to have been born in February, but somehow I was too eager to see the world so I came early.)  I have never quite got used to grey, cloudy days and find them rather hard to embrace but I really tried hard today to think of the advantages of cloud-filled skies.  Maybe there's extra protection from the sun on days like this. (Although beauty pages in magazines always warn that you still need sunscreen if you're out on a beach in Spain somewhere and it's overcast, but that's Spain, not ,,Mitteleuropa".)  There is a sense of being a little bit cocooned on dull grey days.  And maybe that's what I needed.  So it's good.

I even got to sleep until a reasonable hour this morning, which was delightful.  This helped to make up for the fact that I was up at 5.30am yesterday and that there was drilling going on until 11pm that resumed this morning at 8.40am.  I don't know who here is enough of a masochist that they think it's a great idea to fill this building yet again with the screech and squeal, growl and grunt of a drill going into several different parts of a wall after the hell we went through during the renovation work (that only recently - in the last two weeks - stopped) but I wish they'd just STOP.  I think I've heard enough drilling to acquit me of murder, on the basis of insanity-through-noise, so if I were you, drilling enthusiast, I'd watch my back.  Just sayin'...

No comments:

Post a Comment