Thursday 19 January 2012

Homesickness and attempts to run away

I never thought I'd actually feel homesick, but lately I've been ashamed to notice that I miss my Sunday lunchtime option of being able to pop to Portobello Road or a handful of charity shops and second hand places in and around Notting Hill.  I miss the overcrowded cafe I sometimes used to go to for scrambled eggs on toast or a pain au chocolat, and the bookshop around the corner where I found big Moomin books and other delights.

Of course, I also miss the company I used to have when I went on those little trips, although I sometimes went on my own too.  Maybe it's because of the enormous invasion of privacy I'm having to withstand at the moment due to builders marching in and out of my flat at will, to do more ,rekonstrukce' [renovation] but it feels more like 'deconstruction' to me.  It's been over two weeks now (the time they said it would take to finish was two weeks, so I can take comfort in the fact that my cynicism that this estimate would turn out to be a total lie was well-founded) and I'm fraying at the edges in every conceivable way.

I have no washing machine, no cooker, no sink (so I'm washing dishes in the washbasin in the bathroom) and I even had to clear my desk the other day so they could get to the holes they made in the walls to fill them in again.  Clear my desk?!  Are you mad?  There's stuff that hasn't seen the light of day since I moved in well over a year ago and you want me to clear it all up?!  Consequently it's not only my rooms that are in disarray.  My brain is probably starting to resemble the same walls that surround me now.  Momentarily it holds together, until the next unexpected quiet trickle of wall dust comes tumbling down onto the floor to remind me that all is not well...

So, I have endeavoured in this time of turmoil, to escape to cafes wherever possible.  First it was the old haunt of Palac Knih Luxor, full this time of Czech intellectuals and arty reminders of London suddenly and unannounced-ly on the wall:

Their hot chocolate is the best and cheapest in all Prague-dom though:

Then there was the resorting to a coffee chain place for the sake of free internet, but I was lucky to get the best spot to sit in with a good view out onto Vaclavák and the candles around the statue that are still commemorating Havel:

And then, today, I really had had enough of no hot food, constant drilling and dust everywhere as well as general lack of nice surroundings, so I hot-footed it to a tip-off of a bookshop cafe in Prague 1, which looked rather lovely on their website but was rather smaller and in the case of the bookshop, less well-stocked than I had hoped.  The cafe was good, however, and I was so grateful for a hot bowl of chilli and a safe place to sit and write on my laptop:

But I felt so tired and so low, I couldn't even face speaking to anyone, even though the people around me were all Americans or speakers of English no matter what their nationality and one very loud and confident Australian.  I somehow didn't feel any more at home there than in the Czech bookshop.  Perhaps even less so.  Infact, when it came to paying the bill, I was so confused by being able to speak in English again, I sometimes slipped back into Czech when it was totally unnecessary and I even tried to follow Czech conventions for paying the bill, which made the waitress think I was mad.  I felt like a lost lamb.

You see, this is what happens when you make a concerted effort to integrate yourself into a new society, a new culture, a new language.  If you try really hard, you can get used to all the right conventions and the right kinds of expressions for certain situations, but then, when you go somewhere that's a bit 'in-between' culturally (either an American bookshop or indeed somewhere like the French Institute) you can end up feeling utterly lost.  Nothing is quite right, things don't quite fit in and the thing that fits in the least is YOU.

So that's how I came home, in the uncharacteristically drizzly Prague rain, feeling utterly alone and without even a physical place to call home, as I got in and found the builders still finishing up, having done only a bit of painting and patching up, none of the hard work stuff, which they strongly assured me will all be finished tomorrow.  Somehow, I think this may be another lie and another opportunity for me to feel pleased that I am a total cynic and no matter what language you lie to me optimistically in, I'm not going to fall for it.  At least something's still intact, eh?

Unlike my flat:

No comments:

Post a Comment