Monday 16 December 2013

Forbrydelsen and other Scandinavian-like Distractions

Dear Reader,

December is a real drag. I hate the necessity for more money that the lead up to Christmas entails. In many ways, I hate Christmas. I like fairy lights, candles and sparkly things, so I'm not entirely sure why this is. I think I mostly hate it for its focus on family instead of friends. Family may well be lovely (or not) in their own way, but we CHOOSE our friends, often for the very fact that they are nothing like our family, and it's a shame that at Christmas, they have the same duties to see their families, so it's impossible to meet up.

But enough about Christmas. The thing that I've been obsessed with since discovering a free Netflix trial opportunity, is catching up on what everyone with a brain in the UK has already seen, namely "Forbrydelsen". That Danish series with the woman I was once compared to by some Danish directors, Sofie Gråbøl, who was once (unbelievable though it is now...) known as an actress playing really emotional roles. Having been out of the country with no access to BBC4, I hadn't been able to see it before now. And now I'm hooked. Which is funny, because though I'm learning lots of Danish, via reminders of Swedish and the general similarities, I'm also being dragged down emotionally at a time when I'm really struggling with the lack of light in this country. It's not a great combination really. I suppose it makes me really grateful for the tiny, rare, moments of mirth in the show. A little joke about the Swedes or a little dig at the politician who freely admits he's slept with half of Copenhagen, "only half?" says Lund, in a rare moment of playfulness, suddenly becomes a precious gem in an otherwise stark, hopeless and loveless atmosphere.

I still can't get used to the fact that the sun can't be bothered to get up before 8am, which is making me sleepy and sluggish, moody and irritable and not very efficient. I've got to get things together and get myself out of this country as soon as possible.

Yours strugglingly,
Ms Platform Edge.X

No comments:

Post a Comment