Saturday 17 November 2012

Looper, Lars and not many laughs


I seem to be having one of those weeks where it's super-busy to the point of insanity but then there's a total slump afterwards where my body refuses to keep up the momentum and relentlessness any longer. I also seem to be observing odd little things as I have wound my way throughout the week. First of all, I sort of reached a milestone with a professional project this week, so I decided to sneakily celebrate it by going out to the cinema with the cowboy. Except I didn't tell him that it was my way of celebrating my achievement because when I'd mentioned the completed work to him earlier he just said, "yeah, but you've been doing that for ages and I don't even see the point of it". So it was my own way of marking the milestone, giving him an opportunity to have an evening out which he needed too and just try to enjoy doing something fun together for once. 

We went and watched the film, "Looper", which stars Emily Blunt and Bruce Willis (looking somewhat shockingly old) and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who I hadn't come across before. Emily Blunt was great and performed with a really convincing Southern-ish US accent without sounding OTT and her character's bravado made me laugh. It was one of those time-travel themed sci-fi films which get hard to follow because you spend half the time thinking, "so did that happen in the past and now they're trying to go back and correct it? And if so, why are they bothering to go back to the present..." and you end up giving up because it's, frankly, not worth the hassle because you miss the next part of the film if you sit there trying to figure it out. Which they kind of made a joke about in the film anyway, perhaps to appease the audience who would by then be getting a bit lost. I still think it was worth seeing, even though it was kind of depressing. And Jeff Daniels was a hoot as the ruthless boss/chief character just by being so unnervingly unpredictable. So it was kind of worth it for his scenes alone.

Afterwards, we wandered around like lost sheep trying to find our way out of the shopping centre, where the cinema is located (following the impossible trail of escalators that don't run all in one line down, so you keep having to walk out of your way and come across more random shops in order to find the exit) and we came upon a small supermarket (called 'Albert' - no, seriously) and realised we were out of bread and milk so we should at least pick up those things. And that's when I came across the "Duff" beer that I've seen out in stalls in the centre of town but saw for the first time in a shopping centre. 

I don't know who decided to give that a go and how they got permission from the Simpsons to do it, but there were not only cans of it but bottles too. 

Which then sparked a mini 'supermarket photos frenzy' (Czech soups - including Goulash soup)

and 'Lentilky' (the Czech kind of Smarties)

and the cowboy remarked how this kind of behaviour could get me arrested. Well, it could have in the US. Sadly, no-one batted an eyelid here.

And the rest of the week has been a mad rush of meetings and an entrepreneurial conference online, making videos for music-y things and trying to keep up with admin. Until this afternoon/evening when I decided to watch three films back to back because the cowboy is at his brother's and I have several films I've wanted to see for ages but couldn't because I never have the time or the cowboy wouldn't be interested in that kind of film. So I watched an old one for comfort-viewing which was just a cheesy chick flick but with Joan Cusack being utterly brilliant in it, which is so typical for her that I know that that doesn't narrow it down for you... Then I watched 'Salt' (as the cowboy would normally like this kind of film but he hates Angelina Jolie for some reason, enough that he won't watch a film with her in) and found it very entertaining but with an annoyingly open-ended and 'unfinished' kind of ending. Followed by, 'Lars and the Real Girl', which just made me cry even though the premise is so ridiculous (and the doll looked strangely like Angelina Jolie infact..!) but the underlying feelings of the characters are so sad and yet so caring. I don't know why it made me cry so much. Maybe it was the sense of everyone going out of their way to be kind to this guy who was obviously in a huge amount of pain. It's so unusual. And that in itself is sad. 

But Ryan Gosling blinks a lot, don't you think? I've only seen him in this, one other film I've already forgotten the name of, and 'Fracture', and he blinks a lot in all of them. Maybe that's what makes him so endearing. It certainly helped him seem more of a nutcase in this film. (Maybe nutcase is too harsh. I catch myself calling myself a nutcase from time to time, but I think that's just my Mum's voice infiltrating my brain again, as it sometimes does.) And in the middle of all that, I got a lovely email from a friend saying how artistically fashionable and gorgeous I looked today, which was not only super-lovely, but also surprising because it was one of those, 'hardly anything left to wear because there are piles of washing to do' days and I'd worn my greeny-blue jeans, my cookie monster t-shirt and a couple of cardigans (it was cold) and I thought I looked so scruffy, I'd better do my best to compensate by wearing (fake) pearls, chunky glass-gem-looking earrings and pale pink/purple lipstick. I thought I probably looked like some kind of freak. But maybe that's just 'artistically fashionable' seen from a different perspective. I guess only the likes of I-D, Dazed and Confused and NYLON magazine would know about that. And I'm probably too old for their demographics anyway. Who knows.

I feel so frustrated today that so much effort has gone in to achieving what feels like so little. I can't even finish recording the two songs I want to finish before Christmas without difficulties of organising time with the guy I know here who has a studio (well, is moving to a new one actually, so currently only has a home studio) and organising time to practise. The cowboy is very concerned with how thin the walls are here in this council-flat like place and doesn't want me to sing or play aloud in the evenings, so I have to try to fit it in around meetings and so on during the daytime. Which hopefully will get easier to do soon, once I've done enough on the videos I've been doing. But doing any recording here seems just out of the question. Even for something fun and simple like recording a cover song on the keyboard with just that and vocals.

I think I'm rambling too much now, so I'd better get to bed. Goodnight readers, wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment