Thursday 13 October 2011

Little snippets from a Thursday

07.30 Lie-in.  Seeing the sun emerging through the blinds without my already being up and out of bed.

09.45  Drying my hair.  Noticing grey hairs, one of which was a new, strong but very short one, sticking up out of sheer defiance and static electricity.  Too short to curl around my finger and yank out easily.  Took 5 minutes to finally harness and pull the damned thing out.  (Had pulled out about 10 other perfectly fine brown hairs by then.)

10.00  Seeing the steam coming out of my cafetière after I'd just poured in the hot water.  The frothed up milk having stayed frothed up.  Result: delicious mug of coffee.

14.30  Learning the expression, ,,dát pryč'' (lit. put away) meaning, 'get rid of'.

15.00 Going to the post office (yet again) but actually having a nice time, because my Czech teacher/friend with the most amazing patience with my level of Czech, came along with me.  We chatted about my maintenance guy experience and how I stupidly didn't use the polite, 'you' form a couple of times.  She laughed and said it wasn't that bad.  Then I remembered that at one point when he was fixing the cooker with the tiniest little screw imaginable, that seemed determined not to fit or indeed stay put, he had exclaimed, ,,do prdele!" right in front of me.  This is the equivalent here of saying, "f**k!", but said a tiny bit more often.  To which my Czech teacher said, " Aha, so he's not exactly a paragon of politeness himself, is he?"

No comments:

Post a Comment