Tuesday 16 August 2011

Adventures in Deutschland


What can I write in 10 minutes, bearing in mind I really need to get some sleep before I have to be up bright and early at 6, and munching some breakfast in order to be able to plan things for further meetings by 7.30/8am ish?

Well, let's see, I curled my hair and wore wholly inappropriate shoes to the restaurant the architect and I went to for his birthday on Friday.  He liked the results of both the curling-tong-ed hair and the shoes and kept staring at me all evening as a result.  

Then on Saturday we ran away to a tiny village north of Prague near 'Česká Lípa'.  And on Sunday we went to a place called 'Luž' and crossed the German border, where they call it 'Lausche' and much fun was had by all.  Including realising I had forgotten the word for 'mushroom' in German and that even linking words, like 'like' in German had gone out of my head and had been entirely replaced by their Czech equivalents.  Thus resulting in an Identity crisis for the girl who got an 'A' in her German 'A' level (before A* existed).

Here is photographic evidence of having made it to Germany (though what 'Stiftung' in the main sentence means is currently beyond me, but sounds suspicious nonetheless)*:



Here's a sign that proves Germans are the epitome of efficiency and forward planning with notices for everything imaginable, including the 'free-time area' for sitting and eating your packed lunch, overlooking a podium where one could stage a small performance of Shakespeare, should one so wish, though you can't see it in the photo:



And here are some German cows (though the zooming in only made them look even more like chickens instead of cows, but oh well...I tried) that the architect remarked were too clean to be Czech ones: 



And this is the beautiful lush green hill in Germany overlooking both Germany and some strangely German-sounding town in the Czech republic named 'Varnsdorf', that reminded me of the T'ai Chi scene in Calendar Girls where someone ends up suggesting, "Does anyone fancy some chips?", to which I would happily have replied, "hell yes!" had I been given the opportunity:



And with that, I have been writing for over half an hour and shall suffer for it tomorrow morning when I will not be happy about how my body feels post-aerobics and only 5 hours' sleep.  But "that's life, eh?"  Or rather, "to je život, že jo?"

(*According to Google translate, it means 'foundation' or 'establishment'.)

No comments:

Post a Comment